The Industrial Development Authorities (IDAs) of the County of Pima and the City of Tucson offer a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Program to help homebuyers finance their home purchase. Community Investment Corporation (CIC) is the program administrator and determines participant eligibility, issues certificates for qualified applicants, and performs program administration.
What is a Mortgage Credit Certificate?
An MCC is a tax credit that reduces your federal tax liability. You receive a tax credit for 40% (up to a maximum $2,000) of your annual mortgage interest payment each year for as long as you own and remain in the home purchased.
$125,000 Loan Amount
X 4% Interest
= $5,000 Interest the first year
X 40% MCC Credit
= $2,000 Tax Credit!
- First-time homebuyers only
- First-time homebuyer = No home ownership within past three years
- Exception = Applicants who purchase in targeted areas* do not have to be first-time homebuyers
- Must apply and gain approval for an MCC PRIOR to home closing
- All home types – Single-family, manufactured housing, condos, duplexes, and town houses
- Valid for properties ANYWHERE within the County of Pima and the City of Tucson
- Rural Pima County, City of South Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, Green Valley, Sahuarita, Vail and Tucson
- Applicant must occupy the property being purchased as a primary residence
- MCCs CAN be combined with Pima Tucson Home Buyer Solutions Program.
*Target areas are economically distressed areas of the community where home ownership is highly encouraged in order to improve neighborhood conditions (as identified by specific census tracts). MCC program are determined by the US Census Bureau. For a list of target areas, including maps, please CLICK HERE.
Household Income Limits
|Family Size||Non-Target Area||Target Area*|
|1 to 2 persons||$64,300||$77,160|
|3 or more persons||$73,945||$90,020|
Purchase Price Limits
|Property Type||Non-Target Area||Target Area*|
|New or Existing||$271,164||$331,423|
- One-Time Program Fee: $1,000 (City of Tucson) | $500 (All Other Areas)
- If purchasing in the City of Tucson – due at the time of closing
- If purchasing in all other program areas – Payment plans offered up to 6 month
- Annual Administrative Fee: $100
- Due the year following home purchase; pro-rated for first year based on purchase date
MCC Program Management
MCCs are issued separately by the City of Tucson and the County of Pima Industrial Development Authorities
- Properties in the City of Tucson
- MCC managed by Advantage Housing Services
- Program Administrator: Karen Valdez
- Office: 520.882.5591ext. 126 | Fax: 520.624.1728 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Properties in all other program areas
- MCC managed by CIC
- Program Administrator: Patty Gonzalez
- Office: 520.529.1766 ext. 205 | Fax: 520.257.2647 | Patty@cictucson.com
How to Apply
Application into the program is typically requested by your lender; however, you may also apply directly with CIC or Advantage Housing Services by completing the MCC application and by providing the required documents.
- MCC Application
- Copy of Loan Application (Form 1003)
- Copy of Purchase Contract
- Previous three years of applicant’s Federal Tax returns
Documents can be submitted via mail or fax. Upon receipt of your documents, CIC or Advantage Housing will contact you to set up an appointment to meet and process the application. If you’d like help completing the application, please call to schedule an appointment. The MCC Application must be notarized and we have a notary on staff.
For more information on the MCC Program or if you have any questions, please contact Patty Gonzalez at (520) 529-1766 x205 or email@example.com. Se habla español.
Top MCC Loan Officer
Bettina is committed to helping first-time home buyers secure MCCs for their new home purchase. If you are interested in purchasing a home through KB Homes, contact Bettina today!