Down Payment Assistance
We meet future homeowners right where they are at
Owning a home is a powerful tool to create lasting wealth that benefits future generations.
Becoming a homeowner can be expensive. In fact, many people believe owning a home is out of reach because a lack of up front funding to help with a down payment.
At CIC, our mission is to educate the community about their options in the homebuying process. We empower individuals & families with access to capital to help homebuyers get into a home.
The City of Tucson and Pima County offer down payment assistance to homebuyers across Pima County. CIC is the program administrator and provides the down payment assistance.
- Down payment assistance of up to 20% of purchase price
- Homebuyer education course
|Family Size||Maximum Household Income||Family Size||Maximum Household Income|
|Property Type||Maximum Purchase Price*|
*effective June 15, 2023
The Homebuyer must
- Agree to occupy the property as principal residence during affordability period, depending on the amount of assistance
- Complete HUD certified Homebuyer Counseling at a participating agency prior to home purchase contract
- Qualify for a mortgage loan that meets established program standards; No adjustable rate mortgages (ARM) are permitted; mortgage terms must be reviewed and approved by the housing counselor at one of the participating agencies listed
- No cash assets exceeding $10,000
- Homebuyer must contribute $1,000 minimum of his/her own funds (must be documented and verified) towards the home
- Must have the equivalent of two month’s mortgage payments in reserves on deposit at the bank
- Debt to income ratios Household income must show ability to support mortgage payment including all additional debt
- Maximum housing debt/income ratio shall not exceed 45%. Any ratio above 35% must have compensating factors documented and supported and must be approved by the City/ County
- Prior to approval of home purchase contact, properties must be approved by the City/ County for compliance with federal environment standards
- Homes purchased must be inspected by a program, approved home inspector, and must meet HUD’s minimum housing quality standards
- Home inspection and the purchase of a home warranty may be used towards the buyer’s contribution requirement
- Purchase of home warranty is required
- Homes constructed prior to 1978, must get inspected for paint and lead conditions
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for the HOME program, please contact one of the approved counseling agencies listed below. If you are eligible for assistance, the counseling agency will request down payment assistance from CIC on your behalf.
The Industrial Development Authorities of Pima County and City of Tucson (IDAs) offer down payment assistance to homebuyers in Pima County. CIC is the program administrator for the program and provides the down payment assistance on behalf of the IDAs.
- Homebuyers receive between 2% and 5% down payment assistance.
How To Apply
Down payment assistance is requested through participating lenders. To find a list of participating lenders visit the PTHS website and click on the Participating Lenders tab. The lender will request down payment assistance from CIC if you meet the program requirements.
DID YOU KNOW?
Both down payment assistance programs may be combined with each other, as well as with the Mortgage Credit Certificate program.
A Mortgage Credit Certificate is a tax credit that reduces your federal tax liability. You receive a tax credit for 40% (up to a maximum $2,000) of your annual mortgage interest each year for as long as you own and remain in the home purchased.