Down Payment Assistance
We meet future homeowners right where they are at.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for the HOME program, please contact one of the approved counseling agencies listed below. If you are eligible for assistance, the counseling agency will request down payment assistance from CIC on your behalf.
The City of Tucson and Pima County offer down payment assistance to homebuyers across Pima County. Community Investment Corporation (CIC) is the program administrator and provides the down payment assistance.
- Down payment assistance of up to 10% of purchase price
- Homebuyer education course
|Family Size||Maximum Household Income||Family Size||Maximum Household Income|
|Property Type||Maximum Purchase Price*|
*effective June 1, 2021
- Homebuyer must contribute $1,000 minimum of his/her own funds (must be documented and verified) towards the home
- Homebuyer must complete a homebuyer education course through an approved counseling agency
- Cannot own a home at the time of purchase
- Certified Home Inspection (HQS) required – paid upfront by buyer and can be applied toward the required $1,000 buyer minimum contribution
- Loan forgiveness available depending on amount and duration
- Homebuyer must agree to occupy property as principal residence
- Homebuyers may not have cash assets exceeding $10,000
- Homebuyer must have the equivalent of one month’s mortgage payment in reserve on deposit in the bank
- Debt to income ratios apply (Household must show ability to support mortgage payment including all additional debt)
- Homebuyer must qualify for a mortgage loan that meets established program standards; Adjustable rate mortgages (ARM) are not permitted; mortgage terms must be reviewed and approved by the Housing Counselor at one of the Participating Agencies
- Environmental Clearance required (City/County and Housing Counselor responsibility)
The Industrial Development Authorities of the City of Tucson and Pima County (IDAs) offer down payment assistance to homebuyers in Pima County. Community Investment Corporation (CIC) is the program administrator for the program and provides the down payment assistance on behalf of the IDAs.
Homebuyers receive between 2.5% and 6% down payment assistance.
To see a list of program requirements, including income and FICO score requirements, visit the Pima Tucson Homebuyers Solution (“PTHS”) website.
How to Apply
Down payment assistance is requested through participating lenders. To find a list of participating lenders visit the eHousing website and click on the Participating Lenders tab. The lender will request down payment assistance from CIC if you meet the program requirements.
DID YOU KNOW?
Both down payment assistance programs may be combined with each other, as well as with the Mortgage Credit Certificate program.
A Mortgage Credit Certificate is a tax credit that reduces your federal tax liability. You receive a tax credit for 40% (up to a maximum $2,000) of your annual mortgage interest each year for as long as you own and remain in the home purchased.